about 2 hours
guided tour, class of Medieval writing
on request +
entry ticket (10 €)
Going over the bridge, once drawbridge, you will reach the volcanic island on which the Aragon Castle stands. An itinerary to discover the most fascinating pages of the history of Ischia and of Italy as well.
Up to 200 years ago the Aragon Castle was the only shelter for people of Ischia. In 1500 on the islet there were 13 churches and in 1700, according to a census, 1856 families lived there.
The guided tour will develop through paths that lead to the "Clarisse" nunnery, with the annexed cemetery (once putridarium where nuns were left to decompose); the Cathedral with its crypt with frescos of Giotto's school, the Bourbon prison, and also the alleys, the millstone, the old houses, the churches and a breathtaking view.
You will listen to the stories about the the dynasties that led the Castle in the hearth of history of Italy and of the kingdom of Sicily as well. And also, during a laboratory of medieval writing, you will experience the job of scribes, raking away with you a “calligraphic souvenir”.
hat | comfortable shoes and clothes | water | camera
- history, fortifications, medieval castles and Renaissance cities lovers
- those who have an interest in political and anthropological subjects
- medieval objects, weapons and antique numismatics lovers
WHY CHOOSE IT:
- you want to understand the modern political and social organization, starting from that of the past
- you wonder how some quests, that to modern eyes seems to be impossible, except with the help of sophisticated resources, were possible at a time when they did not exist
Would you like to join us?
Fill up the form or contact us through